Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 9 - Wawa, ON to Leelanau State Park

With my detour last night, I knew that this would be a very long day on the road. I needed to get an early start. I had every ambition to be on the road by 7:00, but it ended up being more like 9:00, which still wasn't too bad. It would doable, but a haul.

Traffic was still being stopped at the wreckage site.
Apparently a trucker has lost control and barrelled over the embankment

Old Woman Bay


I stopped at Lake Superior Provincial Park (where I was supposed to stay the night before) to see the Indian pictographs.








Crossing the border again in Sault Ste. Marie. I had completed Lake Superior!

On the might Mackinaw Bridge -- connecting Michigan's Upper and Lower Peninsulas

Michigan Highway 119, known as the Tunnel of Trees. Normally, this twenty-three mile stretch from Cross Village to Harbor Springs is mindblowing, but after what I had seen in the past few days it really didn't do much for me.





Sunset in Leelanau. I had planned on spending two nights here, but after a week of total solitude I was ready to get home. I decided to pack up the next morning and head back to Grand Rapids. I called parents and friends to let them know I had completed the trip with relative ease.

The next morning, I final shot of rider and steed.

And, despite breaking all the rules of the rugger biker codebook, one more with a smile to make Mom happy!

*Post-ride perspective coming soon*

No comments: