Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 3 - Toronto to Parry Sound

I left Toronto at about noon in a light drizzle. It looked like it would clear shortly and I didn't put on my rain gear. The weather didn't clear but instead rained harder and got colder. At highway speeds, it doesn't take long to be soaked. I pushed through for about 100 miles when the rain turned into a downpour. I don't mind riding in the rain, but this was ridiculous. I pulled over at the next exit and took shelter at a gas station. I spent the next couple hours trying to warm up by drinking coffee at Tim Horton's, but the rain didn't quit. I gave up and found a hotel in Parry Sound, about 150 miles short of my planned destination.

I had been hyping this trip for months and getting swamped on my first day really took the wind out of my sails. I couldn't warm up, the rain wouldn't quit, and it was a tough few hours. To make matters worse, Parry Sound's ONLY Beer Store closed just minutes before I could make it there! For those unfamiliar with Ontario's alcohol laws, beer and wine can only be sold at licensed Liquor Control Board of Ontario stores. There is only one in Parry Sound, and it closed daily at 6:00. All was remedied, though, when some friendly Canadian hotel mates, sensing my downtrodden spirits, graciously gave me a couple of ice cold Molsons. I spent the night catching up with the Olympics and all was well with the world.

My hotel room. Not great, but it fit the bill.

The lake in their backyard. I would have fished it but their canoe didn't have a paddle.

No comments: