Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 7 - Split Rock Lighthouse to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park

While the rain did hold off all night, I awoke to a pretty thick fog looming over the lake. It was plenty warm, though, and it really didn't feel like rain was coming. About what you'd expect from Lake Superior.

A few yards in front of my camp site




Looking straight out

The third order Fresnel Lens

On my way out of Split Rock, I backtracked a few miles to Gooseberry Falls State Park

Nice falls, but I'm sure they're much more impressive in the spring with all the snow melt

Heading into Grand Marais, MN



After a few hours, the fog finally lifted and I stopped at Grand Portage National Monument




The views of Superior were getting better and better...

My attempt at a panorama short (big picture warning)

I finished Minnesota and head back into Canada toward Thunder Bay. I putzed around in Thunder Bay for a little while and was struck by how economically depressed it seemed. What I assumed was "downtown" was nothing but empty storefront after empty storefront. It's a city over over 100,000, so maybe I missed the good part of it.

Followed a sign to the Terry Fox Scenic Overlook

Thunder Bay from a distance, and a portion of Sleeping Giant behind it.

The Sleeping Giant

At this overlook, I met Gregory. I just happened to ask him what year his BMW was (1983) and it set off an hour long conversation about riding and journeys. He had just finished law school, had no job, no mortgage, no car payment, no girlfriend, and was just going indefinitely on his bike. His dad had passed away last fall, left some money, and he decided there was no better way to spending his inheritance seeing the world on a cycle. He had left from Boston about a week ago and was on his way to Alaska. From Alaska, he plans to hop the ferry to Vancouver then head south along the West Coast and possibly into Mexico. If that goes well, he hopes to continue into Central and South America. He admired my my scientific packing method and envied my big, cushy seat. I admired the fact that he would embark on this kind of trip with such a spartan setup and, with the clock ticking on my own journey, envied the total freedom and lack of obligations he had. Meeting someone who was living the ADV Dream really lifted my spirits as a headed down the road to Sleeping Giant. I met Gregory about two weeks ago, so he's probably getting close to Alaska by now. Godspeed, Gregory! I hope you post your ride report up on ADVRider!

The ride into Sleeping Giant was phenomenal. A narrow two-laner with views around every turn.

The view I was greeted with at the site

Setting up camp

A friendly beaver stopping by



No need for a flashlight tonight.

No comments: