Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 8 - Sleeping Giant to Wawa, ON



Someone on ADVRider has recommended the suspension bridge at Eagle Canyon Adventures near Ouimet Canyon (pronounced WE-met). At $18/person, it's definitely a tourist trap, but it's a small, family-run operation and they let me charge my iPod and phone in their office while I hiked.






Rode a few km down the road and stopped in Ouimet Canyon Park. Save your money on the suspension bridge as the view from the park (only $2 suggested donation) is nearly as good.



Summer means construction season on the Trans-Canada Highway and this was a common sight for me. This particular stretch was about 30k of awful dirt road spent behind a semi.

It seemed like every ten minutes there was a pulloff from the highway to get views of the lake. Each no doubt worthy of stopping, but I had to pick and choose.




Some camera trickery to pass the time




Heading into Wawa, it turned dark. Learning my lesson from before, I stopped to gear up, but nothing ever came from it.


No Lake Superior loop is complete without stopping at the Wawa Goose!

A couple miles outside of Wawa, there was a trooper stopping traffic and talking to every passing vehicle. Apparently, there was a fatal accident near Old Woman Bay and the highway was closed. CLOSED! This is the Trans-Canada Highway. The one highway the goes coast to coast in Canada. There aren't smaller roads to take for a detour. When the Trans-Canada closes, you wait. The trooper said it would be after midnight before it was open and suggested I find a place in Wawa. I wasn't in the mood for a hotel, and he directed me to a private campground just a few miles back in the other direction. I wasn't pleased, but there really wasn't a choice.

I really lucked out with this new location, though. The campground was a family-run operation, and the woman gave me discounted rate of only $20 (as opposed to the average of nearly $50 at Provincial Parks. A rant for another time!) and gave me a few bundles of free firewood. She also placed me at a great site right on the banks of the Magpie River.
Campsite view



My typical meal routine consisted of a granola bar of trail mix for breakfast, a huge lunch at about 2:00 or 3:00, then something small for dinner after camp was set. Tonight was a delicious can of Chef Boyardee.

No comments: